Hackthorn School is a non-smoking area. This document outlines our school’s policy regarding smoking within the school buildings and grounds. The policy reflects the consensus of opinion of the whole teaching staff and has the support and agreement of the governing body and parents.
The aim of this policy is to:
- provide and maintain a healthy and safe working environment for all staff.
- provide and maintain a healthy and safe environment for all pupils and protection from passive smoking.
- establish a smoke free environment
- Smoking in the school environment is prohibited. This includes school grounds, buses hired by the school, school trips and school sponsored events.
- All staff are required to abide by the policy as well as visitors, parent helpers and parents waiting to collect their children.
- All new staff will be made aware of the provisions of the policy by the headteacher.
- Signs are in place around the school stating that the school is a non-smoking area.
- The school will not accept sponsorship, financial support or materials paid for by the tobacco industry.
- The hazards connected to smoking are discussed with children as part of the school’s ‘Health Education’ and drug awareness programmes (undertaken a minimum of once every two years).
- All Friends Of The School events and ‘lettings’ of the school are non-smoking functions.
Updated - Dec 22