History of the School
There has been a school in Hackthorn village for over 150 years.
- At first the school had pupils ranging from infant to secondary age.
- The original school building was just the one room built in 1870 (which is the KS2 room now). A few years later in 1885 a second room was added for the infants which is now the study.
- Food was prepared in the school. Pupils would sometimes help collect berries to make puddings - for dessert and often helped with the cooking. When it was their birthday children could choose their favourite food for dinner.
- In 1947 a wooden hut was built next to the school as a separate classroom.
- Later, during the 1980s, new indoor toilets were built along with a corridor to joint the wooden 'hut-ment' to the rest of the school.
- In 1998 the old wooden hut was demolished and a new extension built. This included a new office cloakroom and entrance.
- An Outdoor Learning Area and Quiet Garden Area were established in 2002.
Much of the school is recognisable today from this picture taken in 1902
The whole school poses for a photo outside the Hall in 1892